Limitations: The McElroy Trust only supports programs, projects or endeavors that help young people.
Organization types: The R.J. McElroy Trust assists only nonprofit charitable organizations (501(c)3) and governmental entities, like school districts or municipalities.
Geographic Area: The R.J. McElroy Trust makes grants in the following areas in Iowa: Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Grundy, Howard, Tama, and Winneshiek counties.
Types of funding/Guidelines:
- The McElroy Trust provides operating support, program and capital grants.
- The Trust does not typically fund endowments.
- The Trust does not make grants directly to individuals with the exception of the Gold Star Teacher program and the doctoral fellowship program.
- The Trust does not make grants to religious organizations for religious programming.
- The Trust does not make grants to schools or school districts for 1-to-1 technology/computers for students.
- The Trust does not typically underwrite or sponsor fundraising events or place ads. Instead, consider applying for a grant for the program for which you are raising funds.
Challenge grants: The Trust has a tradition of approving challenge grants and will continue to do so when appropriate. This type of grant serves several purposes. Ideally, it leverages more dollars for the organization and enables the recipient to go to other grantmakers with tangible proof of the Trust’s interest. It also assures the Trust that other appropriate funders are sharing the costs. Please specify the terms of the challenge you prefer in your grant application. For example, you may request $1 from the Trust for every $2 you raise from other sources within the first six months of fundraising.
First step: Complete the online Letter of Intent: All organizations considering seeking funding from the R.J. McElroy Trust are asked to complete the Letter of Intent. If you have questions or wonder if the Letter of Intent is right for your project, you’re welcome to call 319-287-9102 or contact us.