If you are interested in being considered for the McElroy Fellowship, please contact the academic leaders at your college.
Each institution can select only one candidate to compete for the McElroy Fellowship. (See notes below for more information.)
To be eligible, a candidate must:
- Be a recent graduate or a graduating senior of a liberal arts program at Clarke College, Loras College, University of Dubuque, Luther College, Wartburg College, Coe College, Cornell College, Mount Mercy College, and the University of Northern Iowa.
- Intend to immediately pursue a Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D) at an accredited university of his or her choice. Students pursuing M.D., J.D., Ed.D., Pharm.D., or other professional degrees are not eligible.
Selection criteria: In the selection process, considerable weight will be given to a candidate’s academic record and to extra-curricular activities that give evidence of initiative, commitment and discipline. The objective of the Fellowships is to provide financial assistance to candidates with outstanding graduate school potential.
- Applications, instructions, and deadlines are available in the office of the President or Dean of each college/university listed above.
- The deadline for submitting an application to college officials is January 31.
- The President or Dean reviews the applications and select one applicant to forward to the McElroy Trust Fellowship Selection Committee.
- The selection process will include a personal interview with the McElroy Trust Fellowship Selection Committee in late spring in Waterloo.
- Two of the final nine candidates will be selected as McElroy Fellows.