Types of organizations:
The R.J. McElroy Trust assists nonprofit charitable organizations (501(c)3) and governmental entities.
Geographic Area: The R.J. McElroy Trust makes grants in the following areas in Iowa: Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Grundy, Howard, Tama, and Winneshiek counties. Beginning in 2012 the McElroy Trust no longer accepts proposals from Benton, Franklin and Hardin counties.
Limitations: The McElroy Trust may only support programs, projects or endeavors that help young people.
Types of funding:
- The McElroy Trust provides operating support, program and capital grants.
- The Trust does not make grants directly to individuals.
- The Trust does not make grants to religious organizations for religious programming.
- The Trust does not make grants to schools or school districts for 1-to-1 technology/computers for students.
- The Trust seldom funds 100% of a project.
- The Trust will often fund a project for a given period of time – one to three years. During this time it is planned that the project will build a firm financial foundation, gain additional funding sources, and demonstrate its effectiveness. Hopefully, the project can then operate independently from the Trust, and the McElroy Trust can then move on to funding projects in other areas of interest.
Challenge grants: The Trust has a tradition of approving challenge grants and will continue to do so when appropriate. This type of grant serves several purposes. Ideally, it leverages many more dollars for the organization, and enables the recipient to go to other grant makers with tangible proof of the Trust’s interest. It also assures the Trust that other appropriate funding sources are sharing the costs. Please specify the terms of the challenge you prefer in your grant application.
Please contact us before applying: All organizations considering seeking funding from the R.J. McElroy Trust are asked to contact the McElroy Trust staff before applying. Call 319-287-9102 or contact us.